About the title

In our home we want learning to be fun. We want to entertain our children first in order to get their attention. Once we have their attention, the learning can begin. School does not have to be boring. So our journey starts with Entertaining to Educate...

Friday, July 26, 2013

Stewed Plums / Plum Butter in the Crockpot

Yesterday was co-op day.  The food co-op that is.  What a great day.  I ended up with extra items since one of our members couldn't make it for pickup.  The others did not want the "stuff" so I brought home the extras.  One of the things I ended up with was an entire carton of black plums.  The box said 28 lbs.  Twenty-eight pounds of plums???  What was I supposed to do with that?

We ate some of them, but still had tons.  I searched for easy crockpot plum butter or something similar.  After looking at multiple recipes I chose the easiest one I found.  (Had lots of other things to do today...)  I ended up with this:

8 lbs of plums (before removing the pits)
1 cup white sugar
about 3/4 cup brown sugar (this was my edition)

I peeled the plums and removed the pits.  I sliced the plums and added the sugar and placed them in the crockpot.  I cooked on high for about 8 hours.  After a good while it still had lots of liquid.  I put a wooden spoon across the top to vent the crockpot.  This helped the evaporation some.  I stirred the mixture every so often (when I remembered) throughout the day.  After turning off, some more of the liquid seemed to evaporate.

I ended up leaving them in chunks.  I thought about putting them in the food processer and blend them up, but I opted to leave as is.  They are very tart.  I ended up serving them on vanilla ice cream and the sweetness of the ice cream helped to balance the tartness ~ but oh boy ~ they are still pretty tart.

I still have about 1/3 of the box.  What will I do with them tomorrow???

No comments:

Post a Comment