About the title

In our home we want learning to be fun. We want to entertain our children first in order to get their attention. Once we have their attention, the learning can begin. School does not have to be boring. So our journey starts with Entertaining to Educate...

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Entertaining to Educate what does that really mean?

I remember when I was a kid and often being bored at school.  I enjoyed the socialization and I did have some great teachers along the way.  But, I do not remember a lot of what I studied in school.  My husband hated school and couldn't wait to graduate.  We wanted a different experience for our two children.

After we had children we decided that we wanted to homeschool our children.  I must say the phrase came from my husband, but it makes sense.  He told me one day that we should entertain them in order to educate them, at least to get things started.  In order to get the kids interested and enjoying learning ~ we try to make it fun.  We do not have the traditional school setting:  sitting in a desk for eight hours a day doing lots of boring workbook pages.  For us, we may have school on the couch, on the bed, sitting in the swing, on the trampoline, or even in the tree!  While certain aspects are not as "fun" as others, we try our best to make it as fun as possible.  We try to do hands on things and learn through exploration.

As for the way we do things, it works for our family.  Our kids are learning with this method and surprise us often with things we did not even realize they know.  I am looking forward to this upcoming school year.  I can't wait to get started in full swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment